Tuesday, December 20, 2011

My Mom, The Musician

I've been meaning to post about this for a while. I wanted to give a little shout out to my Mom. She is a professional organist/pianist/keyboard(ist) who has been playing almost her entire life. She started piano around 7 years of age and then added organ at 13. She took lessons for many years. One of her teachers even played for silent movies.
 Back in 1965 she recorded an album and in August of this year, she had it digitally remastered on CD.


Front Cover of CD - Original photo taken when she was 30 years old

The recording was done on the Gulbransen Rialto Theatre Organ. There are 13 popular songs on the recording. Do-Re-Mi from "The Sound of Music"; Wunderbar; The Orange Blossom Special; Melody of Love; Moonlight in Vermont; Only You; Java; Get Me To The Church On Time from "My Fair Lady"; Billboard March; Colonel Bogey; Getting to Know You from "The King and I"; Hey Look Me Over from "Wildcat".


She's selling her CD for $10/ea, plus $2.50 for shipping & handling.
Here's her contact info in case you or someone you know might be interested:
Loretta (email: rolram@comcast.net)

Loretta's Bio
Turned professional at the age of 20, playing at:
  • Nohlgren's All You Can Eat For 99 Cents in 1956.
  • Soon after, went to Robert's Rod 'n' Reel, a lounge in downtown Portland, where Nordstrom is now located. There, she played for 6 hours a night, 6 nights a week, playing dinner music as well.
  • The Oaks Skating rink, and The Imperial Skating Rink. Both rinks had pipe organs. (The Oaks Skating Rink is the only rink in the WORLD that still has a pipe organ!)
  • In 1961, went to work for Cascade Piano and Organ Co. as demonstrator of organs/book keeper. Also gave concerts for them.
  • Before Organ Hits By Loretta was made, she made a Christian album, recorded by Hughlon Faulk in Oregon City.
  • Did some traveling over the years giving concerts and demonstrating organs.
  • Played numerous weddings, funerals, and church services.
  • Currently plays at Beautiful Savior Lutheran Church on the Rodgers 950 D 3 manual organ.
  • Quote by Loretta - "Music is God's gift to me and I would not feel complete if I couldn't express myself with music. I love playing unto Him, and I love to play all styles of music."

She even taught 2 of my brothers and me to play. I love the fact that I'll always have a CD of her music.
Way to go, Mom! I'm so proud of you.

Happy day!
hi-d

7 comments:

koralee said...

Wow...what a talented mom.
Thank you so much for visiting me the other days...blessing for a wonderful Holiday. xoxox

Moosic Mom said...

You certainly did a lot of work putting this all together. Thank you Heidi. I love you so much!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

WOW!!!!!!! Let me tell you something. My father played piano and organ and LOVED GULBRANSON organs, and even had one. I would not doubt that he at least knew of your mother for he belonged to an organ club in the 60s when I was growing up. What fun that was for me, to watch these adults share their music. Each month, the evening full of organ pieces was in someone's home. My mom would put out the spread and I would help her. It was an elegant time and all the participants would come dressed up...oh dear, YOU TOOK ME BACK! Give your mom a big hello dearest and a gentle squeeze to Maximus!!! Anita

Sam W. said...

aww, that's awesome!! my husband is a pianist/organist...i'll send this link over to him. he might love it :)

Martina said...

Cheers to your talented musical mom - and to all mums, including yourself Heidi! xx

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning dearest one! This is my first official day OFF! I don't know what to do with myself other than ENJOY THE SILENCE! HAPPY DAY! Anita

Run26.2Mom said...

So talented! from the photos I have seen, you look a lot like your mom! What a memory you will forever cherish.