Thursday, December 23, 2010

Baby Rag Quilt & Room

I was excited to find some cute fabric to make a little rag quilt for Maximus.
 rag side
smooth side

I've been wanting to make a quilt for some time, so I searched online and got some ideas and came across a super cool tutorial to show me how it's done. You can check out the video below:
These are great instructions. There were a couple things that I omitted however. I didn't sew around each individual square like she did. I simply laid out the pieces in the order that I wanted and sewed the squares together. If you're comfortable, you don't need to pin the squares to stitch them together; although, pinning is important once you have rows that you're sewing together.
This would be a great project for a beginner. It's way easier than it looks. The hardest, or most tedious part was snipping the seams to get the rag look. After I finished the quilt, I threw it in the washing machine with 3 tennis balls and then proceeded to dry it, using the tennis balls again to give it something to fluff up the quilt. During the drying process, I stopped often to shake the strings from the quilt and remove the lint from the screen. I repeated the wash and dry cycle a second time. It's quite linty and fuzzy after you've finished laundering the quilt. I found that running some packing tape along the fabric helped removed the excess...
So, does this look like something you could tackle? I promise you, it's a fun and easy project. If you follow the instructions, it should turn out great.
I thought I'd include some pictures of the room. As always, there are a few finishing touches that we need to do, but the majority of the work has been done. Again, we didn't really go with a theme. We thought that we'd keep it more neutral and just use colors & textures that we liked. When Maximus is old enough to decide for himself then he can choose if he wants to have a Spiderman, Nascar, or other themed room. :)
We are waiting for a vinyl decal to arrive with Maximus' name. This will go above the verse. 
I love my glider. It has a footstool, which I didn't get in the photo. This chair is SO comfortable! The room divider screen is hiding the treadmill that we didn't want to part with, along with a storage cabinet of Rob's extra computer parts.
Simple curtains that I made.
I will probably end up putting books or other stuff on the dresser...
I'm not a real big fan of "changing tables." Originally I was hoping to find a dresser that could be be doubled as a changing station, but we got an amazing package deal on a crib, small dresser & this table, so I couldn't pass up that great bargain. I got these baskets, that will be used to store diapers, ointments, extra clothes, etc. Also, a sweet friend, from North Carolina made that little blanket you see for Maximus. Thank you, Cindy!
 We purchased a shaggy area rug. I love how soft it is to walk on, in bare feet!
I decided to make the crib skirt and purchased a fitted sheet. We didn't go with any baby bumpers. When I started doing some research online, I came across some reports of Sid's - where babies can roll up against the bumper and if they get nestled into the cushion face first, it could block their breathing. I decided, along with discussing with my hubby & a couple of bloggy friends, that it wasn't worth my peace of mind if I felt uncomfortable. So, no bumpers.
 Space is limited in our place...so I found these perfectly sized Rubbermaid containers  that fit underneath the crib. I'm using them for all the clothes that Rob recieved from someone at his work. Plus, I still have more clothes, hanging in our bedroom closet. Needless to say, this was a huge blessing and we are definitely set on clothes for about a year!
I picked up this little side table at Salvation Army for $10. What a steal!
Thanks for letting me share everything with you. We are filled with excitement & anticipation. Only 7 more weeks to go!

Happy day!
hi-d

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love the baby's room! Everything is so cute. And the quilt is handsome as well.

Looks like you have everything all ready. Now, what will people get you for your baby shower??? :-)

Hot Cake Fashion, What Im Wearing said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by Hot Cake too..your such a decor star, had a look at all the chocholaty toned quilts, rugs, even the furniture that goes with it, and what a bargain as well..I love making the home all cozy and clean for Christmas and now I tend to make a big mess out of the kitchen:-)Have some cooking to do! Warm Greetings and a big Merry Christmas! Big Hugs! Alice

Shirley said...

Looks fantastic! Love the rag quilt - I'll have to see if Savannah wants to try to make one. Love the clean lines in his room - I just can't wait for him to get here now! :)

Cindy said...

wow, Love how you fixed up the nursery ! That is awesome, Love love love the baby rag quilt too!! I looked at that very same video when I was about to do Paul's rag quilt. She explains it so well. Plus I loved her colors so it was fun to watch. You really are making good use of your space. Very nice.

Run26.2Mom said...

LOVE Maximus' room! Very relaxing and I love the colors. You are prepared! Yea!!! Great idea for storage. I need to do that!
Susan

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

You're so crafty! I love the quilted blanky.
Yanet of 3 SKBs