Thursday, December 2, 2010

Paper Lampshade

Things are coming together in the baby's room. We're just doing some finishing touches. Today I made a paper lampshade.

We bought a lamp to go next to the glider, but after we purchased the room divider screen I didn't like how the color of the fabric on the divider clashed with the lampshade color.

See what I mean? The white & yellow just don't go together...haha...

So, I went to a specialty paper store bought a large sheet of paper.

I've outlined the process below if you care to follow it...

Here's the paper I chose. It was a a little lightweight, but I wanted the lamp to still give off a nice soft light, in the room.
I removed the old shade
Then laid it out flat on the wrong side of the paper. See where those seams are? I marked those creases onto the paper with a pencil. Next, I cut out the size that I needed, allowing a little excess to be able to fold over the edges.
Here are the faint pencil marks on the wrong side of the paper.
Using the pencil line as a guide I folded the paper.
After that, I turned the paper to the printed side & folded it again using the same crease.
The edges were glued down to give a nice edge and add some stability.
I took some grosgrain ribbon and glued it along the edges
I wasn't sure if the glue was going to show through...
Well, it did...so I ended up taking another piece of ribbon, & sewing it around the edges that would be seen.
I should have done that in the first place, but ended up doing this after the fact...oh well, hindsight...
Prior to sewing, I added some small pieces of wood to the inner sides of the shade to give it a sturdier shape.
 
To finish off the shade, I glued the two ends together & called it good. I also added some flat wood pieces around the bottom of the shade & a couple at the top.
 
Here's the finished project
Have you done any diy projects lately? I'd love to hear about them.

Happy day!
hi-d

9 comments:

Shirley said...

LOVE it! It looks fabulous! Love how it looks with the light on. Maximus is going to love it. Hope Rob does, too :)

moosic mom said...

Beautiful! I love it! Good job.

coolbreeze (a.k.a. Rob the Husband) said...

Very Nice... Shirley, if Heidi likes it I like it... :O)

Martina said...

Wow, this lamp looks gorgeous! And it spreads such a warm light. Your baby's gonna love it! Well done. Have a wonderful weekend!

Diana Mieczan said...

OMG...that is amazing! You did so well:) I adore that lamp. Have a wonderful weekend my dear

Diana Mieczan said...

How is the tree? Did you decorate it? Happy Monday
Kisses, my dear

Melanie's Randomness said...

What a beautiful lampshade!!! I love DIY but never have the time. That's going to be one of my new years resolutions.

Thank you for stopping by my blog today! Come back anytime! Congrats on your first baby & many many best wishes!! =)

Jen said...

Oh wow, what a great transformation!!

Run26.2Mom said...

AWESOME! You are so talented!