Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Drawer a Day

I don't know about you, but the thought of spring cleaning makes me both excited and unmotivated. I love a clean, organized place, but trying to tidy up the whole place at once can be pretty overwhelming. So, I've been trying to do little bits and pieces lately. Actually, this started almost a year ago when we found out that I was pregnant. We had waaaay too much "stuff" that we were holding onto, in hopes of using it one day in a bigger place. Well, it got to the point that we needed to make some decisions and purge the things that had been just sitting around.

I'm a saver. There's no doubt about that. My husband is one too, but he has a much easier time parting with things when there is a end purpose in mind. So, we had many "conversations" about particular items and why we should save them...In reality, it was me trying to convince him that we needed it or that I had some emotional attachment and couldn't part with the item. Most of the time he won, and I have to say, I'm glad he did.

It's such a freeing feeling to not be weighed down by material possessions. Don't get me wrong. I like nice stuff, just like any other girl, but there is a true sense of appreciation and gratitude when the "stuff doesn't have you."

So, we purged and got rid of and donated a ton of stuff. But...there are still those places - our dressers, bathroom cupboards, filing cabinets...you get the idea...places that still need to be gone through and cleaned out. It seems like a never ending task at times. But, once I start, it's very addictive...in a good way, I might add.

My goal is going to be to take one drawer a day and organize it. Easy enough, right? I'm not talking the entire dresser...I'm talking about 1 drawer of the dresser. That should be a cinch, don't you think? Or take for example my desk workspace or the kitchen counter tops. I could pick one of those and do it in a day as well. To make this even more reasonable to tackle, I'm going to give myself a month. I'm not going to do it every single day, but when I do decide to organize, I'm just going to do a bite size at a time.

I can do this! I think I'm actually getting excited now! This project is not going to be so daunting. Yahoo!

What about you? Do you want to join me in this little challenge? Think of all of the drawers we could clean!

Happy day!
hi-d

9 comments:

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

That sounds like a manageable goal. I should do it too!

Christmas-etc... said...

Hi!
I'm coming to you from Anita's beautiful site - so happy to have found you! I love Jesus too as you will quickly see if you come around and visit! Please do!
Many blessings to you and your lovely little baby! Am following along in your adventure of new motherhood! :)
Ann

CHECKS AND SPOTS said...

I'm in! A draw a day makes it all sounds so manageable...

Ps: I'm currently running a super sweet giveaway that I think you'll love. If you have a moment, stop by!
http://checksandspots.com/lifestyle/phia-giveaway/

Moosic Mom said...

Hi Heidi...that is something. Tonight I read your blog on cleaning out a drawer at a time. Well, mid day, I looked in one of our cupboards in the kitchen, and ended up throwing out platic containers and the contents..way too old kidney beans, lentils, navy beans, garbonzo beans. The plastic containers aren't that good for storage that I have. They are going, too. Good for you to clean out. Just remember, don't be a slave to your house. It's not going anywhere. I use to tear rooms apart each spring...not anymore. Finally not a slave to my house! Love, Mom

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

HI-DI DEAREST! Talk about spring cleaning; my house is perfectly fine. It is my CLASSROOM that scares me!!! I have to start NOW..one corner at a time so I can get it accomplished!!! How is sir Max? He is as cute as a little man could be.. Having fun? I so love my students even though this year I have 50 of them and there are days when the thought of keeping up with their progress is scary. Have a magnificent day! Anita

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

First off I have to say, that lamp is *INSANELY* cool! The color, the shape, the hardware! Sorry, I just had to get out that little rant...and I'm totally all about the organizing! It really is addictive! Once you see one space all pretty and decluttered, it makes you want to see everything that way! Good luck with the undertaking! Happy weekend, my dear...

Martina said...

Hmmmm, sounds like a good idea! Will try joining you. 1 drawer a day sounds good to me. And ALL my drawers need to be sorted out! And let's have some coffee and cake in between right? Have a lovely weekend!

Sam W. said...

i like this method of organizing and purging...totally doable!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Precious Hi-Di,

Thank you for coming to visit my mother's day post. She was truly an angel from God.

Enjoy your son...he will always remember you, Anita