Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Time I Almost Threw My Husband Out the Window

Well it's not entirely true. I never intended to throw Rob out the window. I'll blame it on our bedroom mattress...

It was the first year of being married. We lived in a townhouse style apartment, with our bedroom being on the 2nd floor. Our King size bed was...well, it was KING size...equating to - LARGE. Back in the day, you had to flip most mattresses from time to time, so they would wear more evenly.

That's when the mishap, or almost mishap occurred. Rob was on one side of the bed, while I was on the other. There were handles on the sides to grab hold of, which eventually ripped out. Through the warranty, we got a new replacement bed...but that's besides the point.

So, back to the story...The goal was to get the mattress tilted up on one side and then shimmy it and flip it over completely. I was having some difficulty with getting control of it. Rob was trying to guide me from the other side, while the mattress was being twisted & contoured. We got it to a point where it was standing on its side in the middle of the bed. That was good, but from a profile view, it would have looked like the pipeline of Hawaii's surfing coast = not so good! Trouble was brewing...I could feel it. I know Rob was saying something like, "hold it, don't let it go yet"...when all of a sudden, I lost control of my side. The mattress acted like a catapult. The only problem, was that Rob was the projectile in this case. Next thing I knew, he was up against the window...looking quite dazed...similar to the look that Wile E. Coyote gets in those cartoons.

Of course, I think my first reaction was to laugh. But then I realized what could have happened. Thank goodness that Rob landed in the middle of the window, right on the jamb. That gave him a bit of reinforcement to protect him from flying through the glass.

Nowadays, we have a no-flip mattress. I'm not even sure they make the old kind anymore. Perhaps the mattress companies had enough complaints of the same thing happening to other people. I wonder if anyone sued them.

I'm so thankful that nobody got hurt...but looking back it's still kind of funny.

Happy day!
hi-d

5 comments:

Musings Of A Gem said...

Hiya,

Thank you ever so much for stopping by my blog and giving me some great advice! It's good to know i'm not the only one that has been in this situation : )

What a story! Your husband is so lucky not to have got hurt. It's quite a funny thing to happen!

Lots of love,

Gemma x

coolbreeze (a.k.a. Rob the Husband) said...

funny...

Shirley said...

Aarrggghh - mattresses! I HATE moving them, or doing anything that requires lifting, flipping, turning, etc with them. HATE them! I like how you described Rob advising you - hee! John advises me, too :)

Otto said...

Yikes, and Away! Hehe... glad he didn't fall out...

Run26.2Mom said...

LOL!!!!