Friday, July 3, 2009

Hydrangeas

Hydrangeas are interesting flowers. I love them! Last year my husband bought me one. We chose this one, because I like the lavendar/blueish hues.

Original Plant

Close-up blurry shot, but I like it - kind of looks like a watercolor painting, don't you think?

Here's the color of the flowers that are blooming this year! Nothing close to last year's color, but it's still pretty.

I did a little poking around online and came across an interesting site. It has all sorts of facts about Hydrangeas and talks about the colors and why some are on the blue side and some are on the pink side. The reason that they turn a certain color has to do with the PH level of the soil and the amount of aluminum sulfate present.

Well, this goes to show that the soil that this hydrangea is potted in lacks aluminum. The site suggested that you could add aluminum sulfate, or even coffee grounds, grass clippings or fruit and vegetable peels. I might have to just try the coffee grounds!

What is your favorite hydrangea color?

Have a Happy Day!
hi-d

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite color is the purple blueish one. I just love hydrangeas. I can't wait to plant them around our new house.

hugs!
dawn

Shannon said...

The opposite happened to mine! I bought pink and wanted pink but they came back purple this year. :)