Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Bathroom Remodel Update


The bathroom remodel at my parent's house is going extremely well. I can't tell you how excited I am to see them update some things.

Growing up, my Dad & Mom taught me a valuable lesson, about learning to be satisfied with what you have. Our lives are full of "wants" vs. "needs". When you think about it, if we're not careful, we can easily become consumed by material possessions. When this happens, instead of enjoying those things in balance, they can become more of a burden than a blessing. Do you know what I mean? 

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with having nice things or doing home improvements. And if my parents had wanted to, they could have done this remodel a long time ago, but they have always had other priorities. With that being said, now is a time in their lives that they are reaping the benefits of so many years of hard work. It's fun to see them treat themselves to a much deserved update!

I am going to show you little tid bits of some before and after shots...

Keep in mind this house was built in the 50's and not much was really changed in the bathroom except paint, wallpaper and perhaps a mirror or two...My parents have lived there for about 37 years, which equates to almost my entire life.

Note that back in the 50's, pink, black & blue were very popular colors.

This was the wallpaper that I remember on the walls of the bathroom as a little girl. In a strange sort of way, I kind of like it...

Then, in the 80's it was updated to this pattern. I big improvement for the day, but it was time for a change...

The walls have now been changed to a nice taupe color with warm undertones.

Here is what the tub/shower looked like before. Blue tub with Pink & Black Tile.

Here's the new tile for the walls of the tub now. They chose this beautiful granite in earth tones. The tub is white.

I really like the decorative tile strip that goes along with the granite...nice little square tiles.

Here was the floor before - a goldish/tan colored linoleum.

Here's the new choice for the floor...beautiful tile in a chocolate/truffle color.

Here is the before picture of the counter tops, lighting, cabinets, sink, medicine cabinet & mirrors.

The cabinets were removed and new cabinets have been installed along with 2 medicine cabinets & 2 sinks!

The Contractor has done a lot more work than what I'm showing you; he basically gutted the entire bathroom. I just wanted to give you a little taste of the progress...I'll update with another post in the next week or two.

I am so excited to see the changes. When the time is right, the kitchen will be the next thing on their list. Yahoo! So fun...

Until next time...

Happy Day!
hi-d

7 comments:

Shirley said...

WOW! That looks fantastic! Can't wait to see the finished product. Good for them. And, you are so right - we can easily become consumed with "stuff" and become burdened down with it.
The original wallpaper is actually really cute - I would probably even choose it today given the choice :)

Anonymous said...

I love the original wallpaper too. Love, love, love it!!! I want that in a fabric so I can make a quilt from it! :-)
Funny how styles eventually come back around in style.
However.... that blue bathtub... not quite sure when that will make a comeback!!! :-)
All the changes look so great! I love all your mom and dad's choices. Especially the truffle colored floor tiles.
Thank you very much --- now I'm hungry for chocolate. (or is it mushrooms... i forget...) LOL

Moosic Mom said...

Hi Heidi..you sure did a superb presentation of the before and after of our "new" bathroom. It is going to be fun to have drawers that slide out easily on rollers. No more wood on wood drawers. And the high 36" counters will be good ergonomics while standing and doing makeup, etc. The 20" deep soaking tub will be much enjoyed for a hot bath, while watching TV on the new flat screen that will be in the corner at the far end of the counter. God is so good to us to allow us to have this blessing. Thank you for your blog...it blesses us! You truly live for the Lord. We are proud of you!

Anonymous said...

Looking good! I just love the wall tile. They will be so happy with those changes I am sure! Can't wait to see more.

Design Apprentice said...

Heidi, this is so fun, thanks for sharing this post with us!
I absolutely love the progress and your parent's tile strip and granite is beyond gorgeous. Please keep up posted with the progress. It really looks great!

Run26.2Mom said...

Impressive! How fun to see all the color choices and material choices come together. Love the colors.

So true about wants vs. needs! I struggle with that even on a smaller scale with something so routine as shopping at a "superstore" for a "few" items on my list. How many times do I leave with several items extra? I bet almost everytime!

Can't wait to see the completed project.
Peace.

Iva Messy said...

WOW!!! so great!! have a great weekend!!