Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Shower Curtain Liner


About a year ago I bought one of those 100% eco-friendly EVA vinyl and PVC-free shower curtain liners. It is still a pain to clean while it hangs in the shower. Seems kind of ironic, but, well...you know...it just doesn't work that way. It is mildew resistant, but it still needs to go through the "wringer!"

I read a really cool tip in a magazine a while back that helps make this task a cinch! You throw a tennis ball in with the shower curtain in the washing machine and it comes out spic and span. The tennis ball helps to keep the curtain from sticking to itself. It REALLY works!

Here's what I did...

Warm Water, Laundry Soap & a tiny bit of bleach

Throw in a tennis ball...

Remove shower curtain and hang to dry...

Voilé! Good as new!

*Disclaimer* -- This has worked for me and this wasn't the first time I've done it; but I can't guarantee that it will work for you and I don't want to be responsible for any broken washing machines or torn curtains...But, if you're brave enough, try it! Hey, it beats throwing the thing away... :)

Happy Day!
hi-d

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

... must see more pics of your bathroom. Those items to the left of the shower curtain look very intriguing.
Very good idea with the shower curtain. However my liners come from the dollar store, so I'm not too upset when they get moldy and I have to throw them away, because I have children that can't seem to remember to spread out the shower curtain to dry properly after they take a shower.
(yes, I know that was a honkin' long sentence - LOL)

Iva Messy said...

ha!! that is so much fun! washing a tennis ball!!! teeeheee!!!

Shirley said...

Ok - you're scaring me! I am having flashbacks of washing ... a feather pillow in the washing machine AND washing the dishcloth in the dishwasher. Hee!

Design Apprentice said...

Heidi, I love this tutorial. I know using tennis balls while cleaning gym shoes is suppose to be great too. Your picture tutorial was so perfect though. I think I'll have to try that and soon!

Run26.2Mom said...

Great tip! I can not stand the plastic smell overcoming the bathroom when it is time to be replaced. So I shall try this helpful hint.
Thanks!