Saturday, June 12, 2010

Rose Festival

Portland is known as the City of Roses. Each year we have a Rose Festival that is packed with all sorts of activities, events, a Grand Floral Parade, Dragon Boat Races and of course the Annual Spring Rose Show. I've lived here all of my life, but I've never been to the Rose Show. My parents went this week and took some photos, so I thought I would share some with you. I'm almost kicking myself for not going - maybe something that I will put on my calendar for next year.



I don't know the name of all of these. Mom, can you help me out, please? (Thanks for leaving your comment with the info)

Neptune - Grand Prize Winner (Queen's Trophy)
The color didn't turn out correct on this photo. It should be more lavender.

Don't know the name...But isn't this a gorgeous yellow?

Love & Peace

Liebeszauber

Carina
This is my FAVORITE!





Kimberlina

The Fairy

Fourth of July

Dortmund

Stretch Johnson



Hope you enjoyed this glimpse into one of Portland's biggest traditions.

Happy day!
hi-d

5 comments:

Karena said...

Ooh, I love the 2nd image and the Kimberlina....beautiful!! Love your site!

Karena
Art by Karena

Anonymous said...

Those are all so beautiful!

Moosic Mom said...

The first rose pictured is called Neptune and it won the grand prize..the Queen's Trophy. This picture turned out to not be the exact color of the rose. The actual color is a lavender. The second one, I don't have the name. We wrote it down, but didn't save the paper, because I started taking pictures of the name tags after that. Yes, we kept saying Heidi would sure like seeing these roses. It was our first time.....so we highly recommend it..only $3.00. If you have the chance to see "Fron One Rose" it is the history of the Rose Festival and has amazing pictures of Portland in it's infancy. It is a 90 min. DVD. It made me appreciate the Rose Festival so much more and the history of Portland. Mrs. Pittock (of the Pittock Mansion) started the first rose show in her garden, and from there it progressed. That DVD shows the Vanport flood which I remember when I was a small child. Union Station was flooded, too. They built Vanport to make housing for the workers for the shipyards during World War II. The Rose Festival was a HUGE part of Portland's history and was an event that meant so much to others, and gave them more of a purpose to keep on even during the hard times of the depression and war.

hi-d said...

Thank you, Mom! I've never seen that DVD...may just have to check that out. It's hard to believe that you were alive during WWII! WOW! :)

Violet said...

Those are gorgeous roses!