Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Button, Button, Who's Got the Button?



Do you remember playing that game as a kid? It went something like this...one person had a button in their hand and they would go down a line of people, who had their hands held together tightly, with a little opening on top. The person with the button would drop it into someone else's hands...then the object was to guess you had the button. Wait...does that sound right? My Mom would know...who did the guessing?

Well, anyway...that's not really the subject for today, except for the fact that I wanted to talk to you about those extra buttons you get on men's shirts. It has become a NEW pet peeve of mine. Ready?

I have noticed that most Manufacturers’ (at least the everyday, average priced ones) sew extra buttons on the bottom placket of the shirt opening. Since the style of wearing shirts un-tucked has become part of a normal occurrence for men, it really bothers me! Why? I think it looks so tacky to see those extra buttons or the thread! It's like wearing a suit coat and not taking off the sewn on label on the sleeve. I am noticing it with about 99.9% of every one of my husband's shirts. Solution? I've been taking a seam ripper to them, but I still have more to go...

Here are some examples of what I'm talking about...



See the ugly thread from the buttons?


These buttons are sewn to a care label on the inside side seam of the shirt. Better? Well, kind of...but I couldn't take it...they too had to go! If they aren't serving a purpose, I must remove them and put them in my button container. (I know...a bit OCD)...you think???

_____________________________________________________________________

I started to ponder why clothing manufacturer's do this? When I buy apparel for myself, most of the time I get extra buttons that come in those cute little paper pouches or tiny plastic locked bags. So, my first thought was that they sew these extra buttons to Men's shirts, because men would NEVER keep those little pouches if they were not attached to the shirt. And, if a guy ever lost a button, would they actually sew it on themselves? Well, that's another subject. My hubby can sew on a button, (don't tell him I told you that) but I would never make him do it. So, back to my theory…I thought it was a good one, until I started looking at a few of my cotton button down shirts and realized that they have sewn some of them into the garment as well! The seam ripper is calling my name…

The question for the day is: Do you have shirts that have extra buttons sewn onto the placket or inside side seam or care tag? This inquiring mind wants to know...Sorry if I've started a new pet peeve for you...well, no, I'm not really...rip those suckers out!!! LOL...


Happy day!
hi-d

6 comments:

Shirley said...

You are sew funny! :) I'll now have to watch to see if I can find any buttons showing. John wears pullover knit type, so no buttons at all. Now, there's your solution :)

Honestly, I don't like all of the extra buttons either - I have a jewelry box full of them and I have no idea where the original garment is.
Love ya!

Katie said...

Heidi ~

I have missed you!! I have been out of the loop for the past week but love catching up on your posts.

I am with you...these extra buttons drive my crazy!

I love that picture of the lone leaf on the tree, too. Hanging on for dear life...

Moosic Mom said...

Button button, who's got the button game...well.....the one with the button is standing and goes around to the seated players who all have their hands in the "praying position" hands together, with fingers together, too. The one with the button has their hands together too, with the button inside. Then that person goes to each person and slides her/his tightly held together hands, through the player's hands, pretending to drop the button in each one, but only does one. The person that then guesses is the one chosen by the leader. You continue going down the line until one guesses who has it. Then the correct guesser is the one who gets the button and goes around the room doing the same again.

As to all the buttons on shirts, my take is that it is good that the manufacturer considered buttons that "pop" off of shirts, and is supplying a replacement. One should remove them and save them for that possibility. I like to have small jars for each color category, and that way it makes it easier to find a replacement button for the little lost one.
Have fun with your ripper, removing those pesky little round things with the holes in them. Ha! Love you!

Cindy said...

I bought a skirt that has sequins just here and there, and they even put a tiny plastic bag with a few sequins in it in case I lost some off my skirt. You can barely see them as it is so if any get lost nobody would notice. Ridiculous.

Cindy said...

That button game is sort of like one we used to play when I was little. We used a little rock and one person would hold their hands behind their back and put the rock in one hand. Then they would hold out their closed fists to each person to guess. We would sit on steps and whoever guessed which hand the rock was in got to move up a step...of course the object of the game was to be the first one to the top of the steps. It was a long game because if you had moved up a step or two and then guessed wrong, you had to move down a step. Phew !! Glad I'm grown up now.

hi-d said...

That's funny Cindy. I think they just need to sew the buttons and sequins on clothing more secure in the first place.

Sounds like that rock game was very similar to the button game. :)