Sunday, December 13, 2009

Christmas Décor

Does everyone have their Christmas decorations up? I admit it...this year, I got a big jump start on Shopping and have all of the gifts purchased. And I was really excited about decorating, but I just couldn't get motivated to do so...I know I'm not the only one either. I've heard this from other people as well.

So...instead of getting a real tree or going out and buying a fake tree that was either way overpriced, or something that we were just "settling" for, we are going to wait until after Christmas and see if we can snag a really good clearance price for next year. This year, we ended up with a styrofoam, decorated tree. It stands about 12" tall and sits nicely on top of our tv.

Here are the basic supplies I used:

12" Styrofoam Cone, Fabric, Star, Berries (fake ones of course in white, red & greens), silver straight pins, glue, wire cutters, fake pearls (found in my wrapping paper box), a couple spare buttons, and finally some silver spray glitter.

I purchased 1/8 yard of this cool black hairy (not a good description) fabric with some silver fibers running through it. I found it for 60% off, since it was actually "Halloween" fabric. Well, I like black. I know...it's not very orthodox, for a tree, but I thought it might be kind of cool looking. Then, I cut the fabric, into strips.

Next, I wrapped fabric around the foam starting at the base and secured it with pins. I did one wrap around and then cut another piece and did the next layer and kept going up to the top.

Here are 3 wraps of fabric so far...and the silver straight pins just add to the "sparkle."

Now you have a furry mess, but no need to distress...just vacuum up those stray fibers.

Then I took bunches of berries and used a wire cutter to snip off the long stem. All I wanted was the berry attached to the a short piece of wire, in order for me to poke it into the cone.

Here's where the fun really starts. I stuck the wire end of the berries into a piece of styrofoam that was in a box we were saving...(gotta save those boxes...ha ha...just in case you need to return an item...) I put down some paper mostly from catalogs and my Alumni Assoc. Magazine...sorry Beavers...and then sprayed with the silver glitter. (Note: this is smelly stuff, so do it near a well ventilated area.)

Okay...then, I started putting the berries on the tree and at first thought I should have an orderly pattern, but that didn't last too long...

Here we go...the berries (ornaments) don't have to be perfect. Believe me, this is me talking to myself...(call it "self talk.") LOL...

Something felt like it was missing, so I got some funky spikey looking garland and some silver starred garland to wrap around the tree.

Here it is...well, almost...the original star didn't hold up too well, cause I was experimenting with it, so I went and forked out a whopping 29 cents for a new one.

I added a spare rhinestone-like button to the front of the star and a different one for the back, grabbed some pearls from my wrapping paper box and glued those to the points of the star and around the circumference of the button.

 
And here it is...It's little, but I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I didn't have to spend a ton of money, and it was a fun project to do...although, I admit; it took me longer than it should have...I kept futzing with it.

The only thing it lacks is some lights...but I hung up some garland above our sliding glass door to our back patio and Rob helped me with a few other decorations around the place.

~Simple~
I think that is the theme this Season.


I hope you're all enjoying the Holiday Season...Sometimes it can get crazy busy with things, so I have to remember the true meaning of Christmas...and that "Jesus is the Reason for the Season."

Blessings!
hi-d

7 comments:

Shirley said...

That is SO cute!!! Did you just come up with this all by yourself? I am thinking of stealing this for our tree this year and let the kids decorate it. My only dilemma would be that we would HAVE to SAVE it forever because we made it (not me talking - my oldest talking :).
Love ya!
btw - I have only 1 decoration up and John did that - lol!

Anonymous said...

That tree is so awesome! I totally love it.

ps- it's wayyyyy better than a "Charlie Brown" tree!

Moosic Mom said...

I love, love, love your tree. That is sooooo pretty! You are so creative..a gift from God.
We aren't getting a tree either and plan on getting an artificial one after Christmas. We met a gal in Home Depot, an employee, and she said they have 22 fake trees in their place. They love Christmas! (Good time to insert a little comment here so I replied that they really must like to celebrate Jesus' birth.) It cost them $500 one year just for the electricity, but now with the LED lights, it is down to $200.
You sure did a great job with the tree you designed, Heidi. I love the placement of it too,,. by the mirrow!
Merry Christmas!! XOXO

Anonymous said...

Amen sister! Simplicity!
Love the tree!!!! Such a cute idea. Love it! That was all the arosal spray you were talking about eh? did it smell better before Rob got home? Hope you weren't in the doghouse!
So cute - thanks for sharing!

kadler said...

Ooh, that's lovely! And practical, which I love.

Also, the "hairy" fabric is great :)

Katie said...

Great job, Heidi!

LaLa said...

I must say that hairy fabric looks like my legs before shaving. Your tree is so pretty and you are so clever. Everything looks quite lovely!! Nice job!

LaLa